May Book Haul


Aaaaand it’s that time again, where I go into slight panic mode when I think about my latest book haul. Seriously though, what am I going to do because soon I’m going to move house and all of these books will need a place to live and I have no idea where that place might be.


Anyway, let’s not think about that right now (although, keep an eye peeled for my post about book nooks and bookshelves which is going to be glorious) lets just talk about the books and pretend they take up no space at all ok? Ok.
May was another fabulously bookish month. The wonderful Jen sent me a package made up of Ice Cream Star, Atwood’s Stone Mattress and Cassandra Parkin’s new novel The Beach Hut  which I am super excited about. Book post is my fave, especially when it comes from people like Jen who just know what kind of things I’m going to do a happy dance over.
In addition to those three beauties, May also meant:
In a Dark, Dark Wood by Ruth Ware (released at the end of July) because like I keep saying, 2015: the year of the thriller and this one sounds so gripping and who wouldn‘t want to read a book about a properly toxic friendship?
Ruby by Cynthia Bond which sounds like it could be breathtakingly beautiful.
Sara Gruen’s At The Water’s Edge which I’m interested to read, because whilst there were elements of Water for Elephants that made me really uneasy, I do like Gruen’s style…
A Little Life which is possibly the biggest book I ever saw oh my God. It’s not to be read in bed that’s for sure. It sounds amazing though.
A Court of Thorns and Roses which I talked about here
Ben Aaronovitch’s Rivers of London which I’ve heard mixed reviews about but which sounds pretty cool.
A super gorgeous Penguin Hardback edition of The Last Tycoon because why would I not?I'll talk more about this in my very delayed Book Challenge post later.
The Sunrise by Victoria Hislop which I can’t tell you much about, because I don’t know much about either Victoria Hislop or this book. It’s published this week I think, and is set in 1970’s Cyprus so is all about the Turkish/Greek Cypriot unrest and it sounds like it could be really interesting. Watch this space!
The new Siken collection War of the Foxes which Siken people, Siken. Another book I bought under the guise of The Book Challenge
The Silvered Heart by Katherine Clements which is set in 1648 and is about highwaywoman Katherine Ferrars. It sounds fabulous. & I do so love me some of that historical fiction that's rooted in truth. The Other Boleyn Girl anyone? Who even cares how accurate it is, it's a damn good story.

My Grandmother Sends Her Regards and Apologises is another one due for release this week I think. It’s by Fredrik Backman who also wrote A Man Called Ove and it sounds amazing. Fairytales people, fairytales. Here, have a bit of the blurb:  
Granny has been telling fairytales for as long as Elsa can remember. In the beginning they were only to make Elsa go to sleep and to get her to practise granny’s secret language, and a little because granny is just about as nutty as a granny should be. But lately the stories have another dimension aswell. Something Else can’t quite put her finger on.

and
A gorgeous paperback copy of The Bone Clocks which if you know how much I loved Cloud Atlas you’ll understand my being super thrilled about.
Ebook wise, it’s been a little calmer, which is both good and bad:

The Accident Season by Moira Fowley-Doyle

Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon

Jesse's Girl by Miranda Kenneally

Early One Morning by Virginia Baily

Pretty Is by Maggie Mitchell