Exciting June Releases



Let’s keep this short and sweet for once shall we, because I am on holiday and I want to be playing card games and eating pistachio nuts. However, the fact that I am on holiday doesn’t make me any less excited about all things bookish, so, quickly, because the sea is calling to me, have a few books I’m looking forward to being released in June.

A Year of Marvellous Ways – Sarah Winman (June 18th from Tinder Press) is from the author who gave us When God Was A Rabbit and it’s about an old lady who spends her days looking out to sea through a telescope, waiting for something she can’t quite place, and a soldier called Drake who washes up on the shore before her. It’s also about sloe gin which you may or may not know is my most favourite thing to drink.

Church of MarvelsLeslie Parry (June 4th from Two Roads) sounds like it will be glorious. It’s set in New York in the 1890’s and moves from a Coney Island sideshow to am asylum in the Lower East Side and I have been looking forward to it since Jen made me aware of its existence a few weeks ago. Gimme all the circus books please.

A Theory of Expanded Love -  Caitlin Hicks (June 4th from Light Messages Publishing) is about a girl growing up in a devout Catholic family in 1960’s America. It sounds like it might make me grin and it sounds like it might make me think a little too. I like that in a book.

The Book of Speculation ­– Erika Swyler (June 24th from St. Martin’s Press) sounds so amazing. Honestly, this book ticks all my boxes. It’s about a young librarian called Simon who receives an old book anonymously in the post that somehow links to his past, to his missing sister, to why the women in his family always seem to drown on the same date. It sounds like this will be a book about books and mysteries and lost circuses and carnivals and curses and it sounds amazing. I’m so excited about it.

Upstairs at the Party – Linda Grant (June 25th from Virago) sounds funny and moving and clever and really excellent. It’s been likened to A Visit from the Goon Squad which I really enjoyed, so yeah for that!

The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend ­– Katarina Bivald (June 18th from Vintage) sounds like fun, and like a book about books and a book about people and I think a bit of me is hoping it’s going to be like The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. We’ll see. I’m looking forward to it anyway.

An Ember in the Ashes -  Sabaa Tahir (June 4th from Harper Voyager) which I heard about on Twitter where Sarah Pinborough described it as water on the dry parts of your soul and why would I need to know more than that? I don’t need to know more than that. I shall purchase this book on that very recommendation

Aussi, The Bone Clocks is out in paperback on June 18t so there’s that, too. I’m really looking forward to finally reading this. I held off last year because you know, hardbacks heavy etcetera. Now though, now there will be no stopping me. I might even read Cloud Atlas again too. And then watch the film. And then be all ready for David’s new book. Hurrah hurrah and thrice hurrah.

Anyhoo, bye for now blogosophere. I am away to talk my brother into a game of 'fish' <3 span="">