Books I am Excited About Between Now and Christmas





Holy long post title, Batman.

Anyhow, it is what it says it is. Let me talk to you about some upcoming releases I am excited about for the latter part of this year!! I love this kind of post!

Also this is just a list I've been making on my phone and I am far to lazy to put it any kind of order so please forgive me if a December release comes before a July one (which it likely will).

Some of these look so good - you will thank me, but your bank balance may not.


The new novel from Deborah Moggach who wrote The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel is out in July. I was lucky enough to be sent a proof of this one and I can confirm it is a joy and a delight - it's about a couple of siblings and their elderly Dad and the lady they get in to care for him. If you like family drama and lovely easy writing this is for you. I talk about it here.



This is also out in July and I am super looking forward to it. Again, I was lucky enough to be sent a proof so this is actually next on my TBR pile. It's a book about female friendship and is about a group of three women, we meet them when they're young and full of hope and ambition and the best of pals and we pick up with them ten years later. I expect it to give me all the feels, given that my friendship group looked a lot like this when I was younger.



Wine. Magic. Paris. Need I say more? This is out in a couple of days (19th I think) and I am so here for it.


Jessie Burton's new book is out in September. Look at that cover.  I've just read (at last) The Miniaturist so I'm super keen for this - it sounds gorgeous, about a young woman searching for a mother who disappeared when she was a baby and another young woman caught in Hollywood-esque success.


Can I wait til November for the new book from the author of The Night Circus? It's about a secret library below the surface of the earth and I am so excited I could cry. I adored The Night Circus.


This is a brand new, not even Grisha book from Leigh Bardugo. It's out in October and is about secret societies and the occult and I just cannot even with how badly I want it.


NEW JACKSON BRODIE. NEW KATE ATKINSON. This is a June release and I am so ready - I've been bouncing with excitement about this all year and now it's almost here.


Margaret has written a sequel to The Handmaid's Tale and it's out in September. Do I even need to tell you how I feel about this? Probably not.



Candace Bushnell has written a memoir and whilst I don't know if I'll read it, I do think it sounds fun. It's published in August.


This, also an August release, makes me feel like it might be a bit like Little Fires Everywhere which I loved. It's a family drama set in suburban New York and it sounds brilliant


Deborah Levy (Hot Milk and Swimming Home) has this coming out in July and it sounds fascinating - moving between present day and the 1980's and one man's memories of Berlin, before the wall came down. I am so here for it. I think it's a bit of a deathbed tale - this guy is hit by a car and as he drifts in and out of consciousness he remembers things from his past. It sounds amrv, anyhow.


A June release and one I have an ARC for, this, about a girl with telekinetic powers sounds like lots of fun.


I'm really looking forward to this, coming in November, about a Russian girl in an English boarding school, probably because I'm hoping for a darker Malory Towers or Trebizon or the Farm School. Ha. I used to love me a good boarding school story.


This is published in July and has been described as Big Little Lies against a legal backdrop. Tick, tick, and tick. Yes please.


David Nicholls, he of the One Day tragic ending, has a new book out in July. It's about a boy, carer for his Dad, and the power of first love. It sounds lovely. But probable also sad. Still not over One Day.




And last of all, for now, Cornelia Funke and Guillermo Del Toro are releasing a novelisation of Pan's Labyrinth in July and I have all the feels. This films holds a piece of my heart and I am so keen to see what they do with this book - especially as it has Del Toro's name on the cover...