February Book Haul



Here is my confession: I went a little bit book crazy in February. Seriously, don’t be expecting my book haul every month to look like this because that would be a level of purchasing-ness my poor old bank balance couldn’t sustain. & the books would overtake my house. & then my boyfriend would leave. & it would be terrible. & I am spiralling, CALM DOWN JOSEPHINE. My point is that I am constantly trying to not buy as many books. I just….failed in February. The thing is, is that I put myself on a book-buying ban in January. You know how it is, the post Christmas slump where purses and banks are empty and every penny has to count. I did remarkably well, actually. Not a single book did I pay for in January. And then February happened and Jen sent me tweets like this one:


& suddenly I was falling into a pit of book buying madness. & ended up with a haul that looks like this:


I love it all actually. I’m reading We Are Pirates right now, and I talked about it in my February releases post. It’s just as crackers as I thought it was going to be. I ‘m really liking it, although it’s taking an uncommonly long time to get through. That’s perhaps more to do with my state of mind than the book though. I’ll be talking about it as soon as I’ve finished as it’s my book of choice for February’s book challenge, so you know, keep an eye out for that.

I’ve wanted to read more of Matthew Quick’s work ever since I read The Silver Linings Playbook which I loved, so there’s Leonard Peacock, on the pile hoping to impress me just as much.

I had to buy The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland because I’ve been DESPERATE to read it since Jen’s first ‘THIS IS OUR NEW BOOK JO’ text weeks ago. I feel like it’s going to be a little bit like Alice and I am so excited.

All the Bright Places has been everywhere lately, and I’ve heard all the good things about it so I’m curious to see what that’s like. It’s described as an exhilarating and heart-wrenching love story about a girl who learns to live from a boy who wants to die and it sounds like it’s right up my street.

Attachments which I’ve wanted for ages because Eleanor & Park owns a piece of my heart and I want all of Rainbow’s words, please. It’s set in 1999 when the internet was still a new thing (I remember that so well) and it’s about Beth and Jennifer who spend their days emailing and this one guy – a lonely IT chap – who spends his nights reading those emails. It’s Rainbow’s first book for grown-ups and I AM VERY EXCITED ABOUT IT.

Again, I Was Here has been all over the place. The world is a little Gayle Forman crazy right now, I don't know if you've noticed. I read this last Wednesday night. I liked it. It’s a quick easy read. It’s about a girl trying make sense of the suicide of her best friend and whilst it’s not the best YA I ever read, it’s definitely worth a look at. (Jen: lemme know if you want it, I’ll post.)

And then Station Eleven which I came very close to breaking the ban for in January and which I cannot wait to read. I’ve heard only great things. A travelling theatre company performing Shakespeare in a dystopian world. It pretty much sounds like everything I like in a book. There's a lot of Emily St John Mandel hype about at the moment, and I believe her back catalogue is due for UK release later this month, so hurrah for that, and fingers crossed for Station Eleven; I so want it to be good!
  
Disclaimer and No Place to Die are both review copies which the publishers have very kindly sent to me because they are kind and wonderful people. Disclaimer is due for publication in April and is a thriller based around the concept of ‘what if you realised the book you were reading was all about you’ DUN DUN DUN and it sounds creepy and thrilling and excellent;  No Place to Die is a detective story - a sinister crime scene and a hunt for a killer - and will be released this month. Keep your eyes peeled for more info and reviews of both of those VERY SOON. They both look like they're going to be rather gripping, the kind of book you don't sleep til you've finished – I feel like 2015 might be the year of the thriller. .

I got a couple of ebooks for review too, The A to Z of You and Me by James Hannah which I think is going to be several kinds of excellent and hurty and will be released this month, and AND (OH MY GOD SO EXCITED) the new Rosamund Lupton novel, The Quality of Silence which is out in the summer and which I am incredibly excited for because I LOVED Sister so damn much (I liked Afterwards a little bit less, but still, super excited for this.)

As for ebooks generally, because let’s be real, I didn’t only spend my money on print books, I now have The Book of Strange New Things (which, I didn’t get in hardback even though it's so pretty it hurts me because of the massive. I was going to wait for the paperback but I’m kind of impatient) I also downloaded Etta and Otto and Russell and James and The Darkest Part of the Forest both of which I talked about in my February releases post and which are SO different but SO appealing.

WHAT A HAUL, am I right? Just writing this post has made me want to take a week off work and read all the things.