Exciting March Releases

I'm posting this from my phone as I am currently in a fight with both Firefox, my browser of choice, and IE which I hate and which won't load anything ever. The Internet and I are not friends right now. So, if there's dodgy formatting or whatever, I'm reals sorry. Also there's no pretty pics in this post as that is way beyond my capabilities and there might be the odd dogy autocorrect - I can spell really. Mebbes I'll come and pretty this up later. We'll see.

So, I have a lot of blogging to do over the next few days. I feel like I should apologise for any kind of blog-post-overload that may happen, so in advance, if you feel like I am spamming you with book talk this week, I really am sorry.

Right now, I want to share with you some of the books I’m excited for in March (how is it March already. Golly!) most notably of all the new Ishiguro. 

You have no idea how excited I am about The Buried Giant. Me and the rest of the world I think, if Twitter and the blogosphere are anything to go by. There’s a lot of Kazuo Ishiguro talk all over the place right now because release day is TOMORROW. I’m so excited and a little nervous and so excited. It’s Ishiguro’s first novel for lots of years and it sounds excellent: it’s set in the Middle Ages and there’s talk of dragons and ogres and a quest and I cannot wait to get my hands on it. I loved Never Let Me Go, as in, it’s one of my favourite books of all time levels of love. I pretty much shoved that book down the throats of everyone I knew when I first read it, I was kind of forceful in my ‘you have to read this’ and I know that The Buried Giant isn’t going to be like Never Let Me Go, just like it’s not going to be like The Remains of the Day, and just like it’s not going to be like When We Were Orphans, but I’m kind of spiralling anyway, because Ishiguro man, Ishiguro.

In addition to The Buried Giant, I’m also quite excited about this little lot:

The Walls Around Us by Nova Sen Ruma will be released on the 24th – from Goodreads:

The A to Z of You and Me by James Hannah sounds lovely. And like it’s probably going to hurt a whole lot, in a way not dissimilar to the way Queenie hurt. Ivo’s in a hospice.  To keep him occupied his dedicated nurse suggests a game: Ivo has to list his body parts alphabetically and associate a memory with each one, which in turn unravels the story of Ivo’s life. It hurts already. I’ve heard good things about this one, and I’m really looking forward to giving it a go. It’s out on March 12th.

HausFrau ­– Jill Alexander Essbaum (March 26th) is a spectacularly pretty book. Seriously, I am in love with this cover. It sounds like something a little bit different too, which I am all about this year. My horizons, I am expanding them. HausFrau tells the story of an American expat, living in Switzerland with her husband, she’s fairly unhappy with her life there, adrift from her husband, her children, the people who try to be her friends and she finds herself engaging in a string of affairs. A modern day Madame Bovary is what I’m hearing; a strangely hypnotic, and remarkably captivating portrait of a woman on the edge. It just sounds really…interesting. I’m interested

Emily St John Mandel who wrote Station Eleven which I bought last month has her back catalogue released in the UK this month. The Lola Quartet, The Singer’s Gun and Last Night in Montreal. They all sound really good, and, if Station Eleven is as good as I’ve heard it is, I’m pretty sure I’ll be getting my hands on these lovelies as soon as I possibly can. They look pretty too, which always helps.

A while ago I read the first three books in The Parasol Protectorate series by Gail Carriger. They were fun books, kind of like The Vampire Diaries in Victorian times. WHAT IS NOT TO LIKE. Anyway, Gail Carriger has a new series: The Custard Protocol, the first book of which (Prudence) is released on March 19th. It’s set in the same world as Parasol – hurrah – and it sounds like fun times: I cannot wait. & I should probably read books 4 and 5 of Parasol in preparation. They’re on my Kindle after all.