Quickfire Reviews











Quickfire Reviews is a thing I do very sporadically when there are books to talk about that I should have reviewed but haven’t. 

I've got a list of 5 here from you which I've read recently, including a 5 star read. Whoop Whoop.







What’s it About? Lauren and Ryan's marriage has reached breaking point and so they agree to a year long separation, wherein they have zero contact and see other people in the hope that this will save them.
What I liked I think I can now out and out say I am a fan of Taylor Jenkins Reid. I really liked this. Most stories end with the happy ever after so it was interesting to see the aftermath. Lauren and Ryan loved each other so much so seeing their relationship disintegrate is sad, moreso I think because I got it, I was reading it thinking I can see how this could happen to people and it was sad. The book as a whole though was hopeful, and it made me smile and it had a cast of great characters and I really really liked it. 
What I liked Less I felt like the ending was rushed. I feel like I say that a lot. Perhaps I just have weirdly high expectations of how books should end? It did feel rushed though, and a little bit like TJR wanted to tie everything up neatly which was at odds with the rest of the story. 






What’s it About? The new Harlan Coben - about a man, discovered in the woods as a child and shrouded in mystery, a missing girl and then a missing boy and a insalubrious presidential candidate.
What I liked I am such a fan of a good thriller and this was good. Full of twists and turns and red herrings and a long cast of intriguing characters. It was no Tell No-One but you can't deny Harlan Coben is good at what he does. 
What I liked Less It was no Tell No-One and I felt it fell short of the mark somehow. I wasn't as on the edge of my seat as I wanted to me. I expected more and I got less. 




What’s it About? The young star of a YouTube reality tv show uses her platform to try and find the man who murdered her Mum.
What I liked  Ok, like I said, I love a good thriller and this was pretty cool - it was a new and interesting take on the whole thing. And I loved how it illustrated the power of social media and how what you see isn't necessarily what you get. The story was clever and well-plotted and it hooked me in. I was sick when I read it and it was the perfect distraction. 
What I liked Less It was just so far-fetched, like, hardly anybody in Jess's life objected to her filming everything - even her Dad who given all we learnt about his character should have done, went along with it. She was given so much freedom. Absolutely nothing happens when a member of the film crew makes some really questionable choices. It's a shame because I did like it and all of the eye-rolling it made me do really took away from that. 




What’s it About?  There's a weird environmental disaster; London is flooding and people are forced to flee, just as a woman gives birth to her first child. This book is her story, and his, as she navigates motherhood in a world she doesn't recognise. 
What I liked Oh, but this book. Poetry almost, more than prose. Saying so much without saying very little. It's beautiful and complicated in its simplicity and it's not like anything I've read before
What I liked Less I don't actually know, if I'm honest. I just really really really liked it.I think...I wanted a little more depth maybe and I get that that's not the point but still, as the reader I just felt like I was so into this whole thing and I wanted to be taken further...








What’s it About? It's about Rachel and the discovery of her husband's affair, basically. 
What I liked The first 5 star read of 2020. I think I love Nora Ephron's work. She writes like a dream and this book was just so easy to read. Also how can a book about a woman who finds out her husband is in love with another woman when she is 7 months pregnant make you laugh out loud? It did. It's funny and poignant and clever and sad and so so readable and I absolutely loved it. Apparently there's a Meryl Streep movie adaptation. I need to find it and watch it. 
What I liked Less I gave it 5 stars y'all, I can't think of anything I didn't like.