Book Review: Genuine Fraud

genuine fraud

Genuine Fraud - E Lockhart



YES THIS BOOK.

I am, as it happens, a massive fan of Lockhart’s We Were Liars; I think it’s an excellent book and so obviously I was super excited to get my hands on a copy of her new book, Genuine Fraud and let me tell you a thing: it didn’t disappoint.


It’s a story that reminded me of The Talented Mr Ripley (and wow if you know what film I am talking about here then please give me a headstart before you set about destroying me because I haven’t read the book and know about it only because of Jude Law’s face. Happen one day I’ll rectify that and read it) but! The Talented Mr Ripley is a thing that I enjoyed so you know, plus points right there. & probably that’s the end of my review.

I liked it and it reminded me of a film that’s based on a book I haven’t read and the title of which I have redacted like I am a lawyer and ‘oh wow Josephine,’ I hear you cry, it’s a good job you have a book blog.’

I know, right. I know, but here’s the thing: I could talk at you about this book and what I loved about it and why I loved it but somehow, I kind of don’t know how to do that without massive spoilers.
(Although have I done that already with that whole reference. Should I rewrite this review and redact the name of the film. Ooooh. I might. That might be fun. I’m going to. I’m also going to leave this little segment in because it’s fun for you to see how my mind works...)



To get back to the point though, in the same way as it was with We Were Liars, I think that the best of this book comes from not actually having a clue what is going on, or what is true and what is false or who you trust. It’s an absolute mindfuck and it’s glorious.



I enjoy, every so often, a story with an unreliable narrator and this is third person so it’s not that exactly, apart from all of the ways it kind of is, but it is a story that leaves you wondering with the turn of every page which parts of what you just read you can rely on. There are POV shifts and timeline jumps and so much is going on you don’t even know, but even though your brain hurts a little bit, it works, completely, because of some kind of sorcery and witchcraft/Lockhart’s skill with words. It’s utterly absorbing and, I love a good psychological thriller: I say that a lot I know but that’s because I do, and that is what this is, and a really intriguing one at that. It’s so tense and it unravels so cleverly and it’s so so twisty. 

I’m also a really MASSIVE fan of Lockhart’s writing style, she writes so prettily even when she’s writing about people you don’t think you like, much, and her descriptions make me want to do a small dance of delight and her character development is just smashing so you know, there’s that also.


If you like books where the bad guys don’t always get their comeuppance and where everything isn’t tied up in a pretty bow by the end and where there is a clear and perfectly painted beginning, middle and end then probably this book isn’t for you. If none of that bothers you though, or better still you crave the opposite then THIS IS A BOOK YOU NEED TO READ. PRONTO.  It’s so messed up and I loved it.