Quickfire Reviews: Beach Edition


So, quickfire reviews. Here we go.



Moonrise by Sarah Crossan is about a teenager called Joe. Joe hasn’t seen his brother for ten years because his brother is on Death Row or a crime he claims he is innocent of. His execution date has been set.

What I liked: I love Sarah Crossan’s writing style. I’ve said that before. It’s prose poetry (I think?) and I’m not going to sound at all knowledgeable about that kind of thing because I am not, all I know is that it works for me. It’s lyrical and pretty and I like it. The story is moving and the issues are important and the way Crossan writes means that whilst the story seems simple, it actually gets you right in the chest.

What I didn’t like: Instalove. That again. Le sigh. Also Joe bugged me a little and I had lots of questions about the family dynamic that weren’t answered because I always have all the questions. It was a little predictable too, the family background especially.

Moonrise is out in September.



The Forever Ship by Francesca Haig is the final book in The Fire Sermon trilogy and I have been beyond excited about it.

What I liked: I think pretty much everything. It was a satisfying conclusion to a trilogy that utterly gripped me; I loved that it tied everything up in a way that whilst I might not have chosen, I understood. This whole series is so good people – read it.

What I didn’t like: I would like there to be more please. I don’t like that it’s over. Also, THAT ENDING. I mean, I understood it, I did, and it makes a hell of a lot of sense from a narrative sense but no. There are things I wanted that are not that and I hope you appreciate how hard I try to be spoiler free.

The Forever Ship is out now! 



When Dimple Met Rishi and you’ve heard all about this book, right? I don’t have to tell you all about it? Unless you have been living under a rock (in which case come out from under there it’s dusty) then this book will be on your radar in one way or another, I’m sure. Just in case though:

What I liked: It’s cute. Dimple and Rishi are cute and in some ways are total opposites but yet have this common thread of their culture and I like that. I also like how they both approach that in different ways. I like the take on arranged marriage which all too often is portrayed in this super negative light without much depth; Dimple and Rishi’s story added some background and it painted the whole thing as so much more than this big awful horror where all free will is taken away. It kind of had that Bridget Jones feel – it was that kind of fun and easy and sometimes predictable sort of story that you come away from just feeling pleased you read it. & it’s wonderfully diverse and different. It’s not perfect and it is by no means the best book I ever read, not even close but, the world needs more books like this. 

What I didn’t like: there’s a side story with Rishi’s brother and Dimple’s friend and I would have either liked much more of that or for it not to be there at all. Insta love, a little bit – on Rishi’s part at least AND WE ALL KNOW MY FEELINGS ABOUT THAT. Too much kissing and not enough story. I needed more story because without the story there are too many holes in the story. I wanted more story because I was super interested and super invested in the whole idea of it all – I wanted more development to both Dimple and Rishi and their backgrounds; I wanted more of the whole insomnia con thing because if you’re going to go to the effort of making your characters so passionate about something, let me see them be passionate. Mostly, I wanted to see it go from A-Z via the other 24 letters but it felt more like that 1 2 miss a few 99 100 rhyme.

When Dimple Met Rishi is available now. 



True Love at the Lonely Hearts Bookshop by Annie Darling is the kind of book I wouldn’t usually go for actually, but you know what? I’m glad I did read it because sometimes this kind of book is just exactly what you need and this was one such time.

What I liked: It’s set in a bookshop, which, HELLO. I think Verity might be me, actually because I related to her on many levels. There’s a cat. And a lot of Pride and Prejudice. & I do like a good meetcute. It was a mostly fun, and very easy read. It was perfect for hot hot days when I wanted to be entertained but didn’t want to hurt my brain. & I want to eat cake in that shop, damnit.


What I didn’t like: Johnny. & I know that’s probably bad considering he’s the male romantic lead but I couldn’t help it. I thought he was a bit of a dick. Also I knew from page one how the story was going to end which is probably why I don’t usually go for books like this; I like my fictions to break free from the formula.

True Love at the Lonely Hearts Bookshop is out in August