Never Let Me Go

It’s very very rare that I ever mark a book ‘ten out of ten.’ If I could give Kazuo Ishiguro’s Never Let Me Go eleven then I would. I actually think this novel is a work of genius. A work of genius that left me emotionally devastated. It’s beautiful, actually, beautiful and haunting and ultimately painful and whilst not a lot actually seems to happen, it all but breaks you anyway; somehow it’s what Ishiguro doesn’t say that gets to you so much more than what he does and that to me is the mark of a truly talented individual.

Setting a world that condones practices that are so alien to us they are uncomfortable to contemplate, juxtaposed against the youth and innocence of it’s central characters gives you a novel that is as disturbing and unsettling as it is wonderful. A book about people, about life, about emotion and about love, a book that stays with you a long time after you’ve read the last word