in which i vote Labour

Well, the General Election is upon us. I have my polling card at the ready and when I get home from the office tonight I shall be making my way down to the polling station, and I shall be voting Labour.

Why?

Because the Lib Dems, despite Nick Clegg's pretty face and his talent for public speaking, concern me. Their policies are wishy washy to say the least (and yes, that is a technical term) and so far I have seen nothing that convinces me that should they come to power, they will be what this country so desperately needs. We don't need a poster boy, we need a PM that can lead this country out of the recession, that can secure the continued recovery of the economy, and Nick Clegg has done nothing to make me think he could be that person.

Because the thought of a Conservative government frightens me (and I'd like to slap David Cameron as soon as look at him.) I could go on a Tory-type rant here, but I shall refrain. It amuses me, though, that they they seem to be putting a lot of focus on the voters who can't remember the Thatcher/Major days. Poll tax riots anyone? And besides, look at the Conservative promises to cut inheritance tax for millionaires (fabulous, lets do that, when there is so little money to go around anyway), to cut spending before we're out of the recession (which is nothing if not frightening), and to take money out of our school system to create private school and tell me what there is to support. Vote for change? No thanks, David.

So, am I voting Labour because I don't want to vote Lib Dem/Tory?
No. I am voting Labour because I genuinely believe they are the best people for the job. Because I genuinely believe that Gordon Brown is the one person who can lead us to a level of economic security, and surely right now, that has to be a priority? Because I agree with what they stand for. Because their manifesto makes sense. Because even though Nick Clegg comes across better on television, even though David Cameron's smug face is smiling at me from almost every billboard I see, the values behind the Labour Party are the ones I want to see carried forward. Because despite the mistakes they have made (and I can't deny that they've made them) I'd rather have a continued Labour government, mistakes and all, than a Tory or Lib Dem alternative.

Vote Labour.